If you have some Turmeric around the house, here’s a simple recipe you can use to help reduce inflammation for your dog … it’s called the Golden Paste!
It’s also a powerful anti-oxidant and has many other benefits too!
It helps reduce joint pain, chronic Inflammation and Arthritic symptoms.
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need –
- Half a cup of Turmeric Powder (organic if possible).
- 1 to 1.5 cups of water (filtered is a great option).
- 1.5 teaspoons of ground Black Pepper. (this helps your dog adsorb all the good stuff).
- Quarter of a cup of Coconut Oil (organic if possible).
Ok, we’re ready to go!
So here’s how you make the Golden Paste –
- Mix the Turmeric with the water in a pan (add the water half a cup at a time).
- Stir the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes on a low to medium heat (until it forms a thick paste).
- Now add the Black Pepper and Coconut Oil .. and give it a good stir!
- Now it’s time to let it cool down.
- Once your paste is cooled down it’s ready to go.
- You can store it for up to 2 weeks in your fridge in a covered jar. (then after 2 weeks, it’s time to make some more).
So how much of the Golden Paste should I give my dog?
Here’s a guideline to get you started …
- Small dogs should start with about 1/4 teaspoon per day
- Medium dogs can start with 1/2 teaspoon per day
- Large dogs can start with 3/4 teaspoon per day
- Giant dogs can start with 1 teaspoon per day
Most dog’s don’t mind having the paste mixed in with their food, but if they are a little resistant … you could try feeding them a smaller amount a couple of times a day.
If your dog has a sensitive stomach … our suggestion would be to introduce the paste then wait a couple of days before trying again.
This will give them more time to get used to it and make it easier on their digestive system.
Please note Turmeric is quite a warming spice … so it might not suit every dog.